Pages

Anugraha Bhashanam by the Jagadguru Shankaracharya of Sringeri - 3 types of Paapam & Punyam


Sri Bharati Tirtha, the present Jagadguru of the Sringeri Sharada Peetham, a sanyasin of the highest paramahamsa order, is arguably the foremost scholar today of Vedanta and sastras.
In 1966, he approached the then Sringeri Jagadguru Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha Mahaswamiji as a bachelor at the age of 15 seeking his blessings and instruction in the sastras. The Sringeri Acharya was then observing chaturmasya at Ujjain. Sitarama Anjaneyulu (that was the Acharya’s name in his poorvashrama) had come with great vairagya growing in him.
As the great Acharya was returning after bath in the river Sipra, Sitarama Anjaneyulu prostrated before him and sought his tutelage, which was granted. The very next day the Acharya started teaching him. He soon became a gem of a scholar and a dear disciple.
What prompted the boy who had just finished high school studies, and who was advised by his father to go for higher education, to leave his home? Why did he go all the way to Ujjain from his home in Narasaraopet in Guntur District of Andhra Pradesh? It must have been predetermined so by Goddess Sharadamba, the presiding deity of Sringeri Mutt.
When the same question was put to brahmachari Sitarama Anjaneyulu, he replied: “I had the good fortune of having the darshan of the Jagadguru quite early in life. Once I was asked to talk in Sanskrit by my teacher before His Holiness in Vijayawada. I got a special prize from him. At that time, it struck me that His Holiness was my teacher and my saviour. His beaming smile was giving me a message. I thought I got what I wanted.
“His Holiness has since been in my mind always. I used to feel that I was guided by His Holiness whenever there was a problem. This feeling grew in me to such an extent that I could not stay in my place.”
Since then Sitarama Anjaneyulu did not leave the lotus feet of the Acharya. He accompanied the Acharya during all his tours.
Within eight years he finished the study of Krishna Yajur Veda, Purva and Uttara Mimamsa, Nyaya Sastra and many other treatises and commentaries. He also became a poet in Sanskrit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flags

Flag Counter